PENCIL's Partnership Program builds and supports customized, long-term relationships between business volunteers and public school principals to inspire innovation and improve student achievement.
A unique approach enables business volunteers to share their ideas, talent, and skills directly with schools. School-Business Partners work with PENCIL’s staff to develop strategic solutions to school challenges and needs by strengthening school leadership and prepare students for college and career success.
The program is an integral part of nearly 200 New York City public schools across the five boroughs with a total annual enrollment of 70,000 students, and has become a model for cities nationwide.
How it Works
- Partners and schools are matched based on school needs and Business Partner skills and expertise
- Partners receive support through dedicated Partnership Manager, an experienced educator with expertise in facilitating collaboration, as well as PENCIL frameworks and other resources
- Partners meet regularly
- Partners leverage their network to create a team of professionals to address school needs
School-Business Partners collaborate on a broad range of initiatives such as:
- Building more effective management and organization practices
- Improving communication with parents and the community
- Increasing student engagement through the development of a school brand and more effective website
- Developing a project-based experience to introduce students to new industries
- Delivering a series of workshops to help students build fundamental skills to enter the professional world