PENCIL's Partnership Program builds and supports customized, long-term relationships between business volunteers and public school principals to inspire innovation and improve student achievement.
A unique approach enables business volunteers to share their ideas, talent, and skills directly with schools. School-Business Partners collaborate to develop strategic solutions to school challenges and needs by strengthening school leadership, building school capacity and enriching student learning.
The program is an integral part of nearly 400 New York City public schools across the five boroughs with a total annual enrollment of 215,000 students, and has become a model for cities nationwide.
Interested in starting a Partnership with a business leader?
Read Principal Sana Nasser's story to learn more ›
How it Works
- Partners & schools are matched based on background, interest & school needs
- Partners receive support through dedicated Partnership Coordinators (PCs), workshops, networking events & a database of resources
- Time is allocated based on a Partner’s schedule
- Partners can work as individuals or in teams
School-Business Partners collaborate on a broad range of initiatives such as:
- Strategic planning and strengthening staff management
- Developing a marketing plan to boost family engagement
- Building a school brand
- Providing professional development for school staff to strengthen technology instruction
- Creating a workshop series to prepare students for college or the workforce
The PENCIL Fellows Program provides promising New York City public high school students with essential career readiness training that culminates with paid, full-time, six-week summer internships at leading businesses in a range of industries across the five boroughs.
How to present your experience and make yourself stand out on paper.